Blog Post Type: Best of List
The hotel industry operates 24 hours a day and incorporating eco-friendly practices is important to clients. Here is a list of 13 hotels in Chicago that have gone green.
Photo by Andy Arana via Trover.com
1. Hotel Allegro, a Kimpton Hotel, is a Green Seal certified hotel. Hotel Allegro takes peace of mind a step further by providing a yoga mat in every room. Sustainable mind, body, and amenities are in full circle at this boutique hotel.
2. A Historic National Landmark, Hotel Burnham enjoys connecting with its guests providing four-star service and “all-about-you” care. Hotel Burnham is a Kimpton Hotel property, so expect eco-friendly practices and the all-important yoga mat.
3. Travelers, look no further for a “whisper-quiet” downtown hotel in the heart of Chicago. Hotel Felix uses behind-the-scenes technologies to balance natural elements. Silence granted after a long day in bustling Chicago.
Photo by Lawrence Wilburn via Trover.com
4. A “Best Hotels in the USA, 2014” winner – USA News & World Report, Hotel Monaco is a Green Seal certified hotel. This hotel uses nontoxic cleaning supplies, recycles habitually, minimizes water usage, and serves organic coffee.
5. Guests who are eco-friendly minded on the road by driving electric cars will enjoy a stay at the Intercontinental Chicago. This luxury hotel on The Magnificent Mile offers vehicle charging stations free of charge to guests.
6. The Talbott Hotel sustainable highlights include: 100% use of wind power for electricity, donation of unused soap and shampoo to charity for the needy, and uses an extensive recycling program using only recycled paper.
7. The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago is one of seven hotels downtown to receive a Silver Certificate from Green Seal. This hotel’s linen/towel reuse, water conservation, and energy consumption and efficiency programs helped this hotel receive its distinguished certification.
Photo by Erin… via Trover.com
8. Chicago’s Essex Inn is a Green Seal hotel and takes part in the Illinois Hotel and Lodging StayGreen Program. This program includes “green” roofs, linen and towel reuse, water conservation equipment, and a strict recycling program.
9. The Ritz-Carlton Hotels commit to environmental responsibility, including partnering with local farmers for organic food and using environmentally preferred products. The Ritz-Carlton Chicago is no exception having been Green Seal certified.
10. Water conserving fixtures, alternatives to plastic water bottles, low emitting materials including paints, flooring and furniture, and environmentally conserving suppliers are among Sheraton Chicago Hotels & Towers commitment to sound environmental practices.
11. The Fairmont Chicago at Millennium Park takes meeting spaces in hotels to the next level with its Eco-Meet Program. The four key components of this program include carbon neutral meetings, recycled and biodegradable meeting setups, seasonal organic menus, and a linen reuse program.
Photo by Chole Albin via Trover.com
12. The roof atop of The Palmer House Hilton has a garden that grows vegetables and herbs and produces and harvests fresh produce. The roof also has a bee hive producing fresh honey.
13. LaQuinta Inn & Suites participates in Chicago’s Green Roof Program. Green roofs clean rainwater and improves air quality. This initiative also conserves energy reducing “urban heat island effect.”
Hotels have gone green in a big way. Reducing carbon footprints and being mindful of Earth’s fragile ecosystem has become a priority for hotel design and renovation. When staying at a hotel, ask for a hotel’s environmental sustainable practices and help cut energy and waste consumption.
About the Writer
Tony is a freelance travel writer and photographer, roller coaster enthusiast and self-proclaimed Sudoku master. He is based in the Midwest U.S. and blogs at The Walking Traveler. He is working with Hipmunk on their #HipmunkCityLove Project.
Photo feature by Martijn Sceepers via Trover.com