“Blog Post Type: Best Of List”
A long fruitful day of exploring Rome has come to an end. Visiting the Colosseum, St. Peter’s Basilica, and walking The Spanish Steps has left your feet sore, your body drained of energy, and your mind tired. The sun is a couple of hours away from setting. Hungry, thirsty, and unwilling to take your eyes off a Roman sunset? Then it’s time to relax, sip wine, feast on fruits, antipasto, and classic Italian entrée’s at some of Rome’s finest rooftop bars and terraces. With panoramic and unique views of Rome, there is no better way to end a day than from above. Here are 8 rooftop bars and terraces that offer some of the finest views of Rome at sunset.
Photo by Diane Wong via Trover.com
1. The Bramante terrace atop the Hotel Raphael-Relais & Chateaux offers the finest organic and natural cuisine. With views of Chiesa Santa Maria della Pace, Castel Sant’Angelo, and Piazza Venezia, your meal, location, and service is the epitome of good Italian living.
2. Bella Vista at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese is open from morning until night. Start your day with a morning pastry and coffee, but end it with a spectacular view of the Villa Borghese and surrounding area while enjoying original cocktails and fine Italian cuisine.
3. Enjoy the finest Mediterranean cuisine at the rooftop La Terrazza dell’Eden in Hotel Eden. With a 360 degree view of Rome, diners will enjoy views of St. Peter’s, Piazza Venezia, and the towers of the Trinita del Monti. After dinner, end the evening with a cocktail at La Terrazza piano bar.
4. The Minerva Roof Garden at the Grand Hotel De La Minerve offers wonderful views of Rome’s spires and domes. Whether you start your day with breakfast in the roof garden or finish it with a drink and a golden sunset, the Minerva will relax your tension from a day of Roman exploration.
Photo by Bill Dillard via Trover.com
5. With the Imperial Forum lit after an amazing Roman sunset, the Piazza Venezia across the way, and offering international cuisine using mostly organic ingredients produced in Italy, the Hotel Forum Restaurant atop Hotel Forum will help you unwind after a long day of fun and adventure.
6. Depending on your budget, you can splurge at the elegant and expensive Mirabelle Restaurant or settle for drinks at the American Bar at Hotel Splendide Royal. Whatever choice you make, you’ll have fantastic views of Pinciana hill, Palazzo Medici, and St. Peter’s Basilica.
7. La Pergola Restaurant in the Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria has a wine cellar with over 60,000 bottles, 29 choices of water and offers the best olive oils and balsamic vinegar from the top producers in Italy. Coupled with panoramic views, La Pergola provides culinary excellence unmatched in the eternal city.
Photo by Jason Zite via Trover.com
8. Lovers of Champagne will enjoy Champagnerie ai Limoni Terrace at the Grand Hotel Plaza. Plan accordingly as this tiny terrace only offers champagne on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings from 6 p.m. to midnight.
A relaxing evening at any of these rooftop bars and restaurant terraces will find visitors engaged in conversations, dining on fine cuisine, and sipping on the finest cocktails. Most importantly, guests have unprecedented views of Rome at sunset where fears, stresses, and tension melt away.
Feature Photo by ChipSkippedTown via Trover.com
About the Writer
Tony is a freelance travel writer and photographer, roller coaster enthusiast and self-proclaimed Sudoku master. He’s based in the Midwest U.S. and blogs at The Walking Traveler. He is working with Hipmunk on their #HipmunkCityLove Project.